Monday, June 20, 2011

“Sew” Fabulous Cards


I am teaching a class to make these three cards (and two others) on July 2.  For once, I was a little ahead of a trend and developed this before The World of the  Seamstress article came out in Paper Crafts May/June 2011 Issue.  To keep them looking like a set I used only one paper collection (Cosmo Cricket’s Material Girl), one set of colors (green, pink, yellow and orange), and cut all the paper with pinking shears.  The other two cards (stay tuned for a future post) will use the Sew Easy system from We R Memory Keepers to add some stitching.


This is my favorite card.  It uses some vintage trim I found at an antique store, a vintage pattern lady from a Hero Arts stamp set and, a pin from Little Yellow Bicycles Clothesline collection.  Although dangerous to mail, the floral pin adds some color and dimension to the sentiment.  This is the first time I have ever used a pin on a card and I am hooked.


I found these little wooden spools at an antique store in Trinidad, CO and bought all they had.  I wound floss on them and strung them on a line with buttons for a clothesline type of look.  The sentiments are stamped on paper squares reminiscent of quilt blocks.  After seeing a tutorial Betsy Veldman did on grid style cards, I may redo it in that style.

No individual photo of the third card – sorry.  I used a Quick Kutz scalloped circle die to cut a pattern, and then folded them to make a full flower.  Tip – wait for a sale and buy a doll clothes pattern.  It has more printing closer together so you don’t end up with a lot of blank pattern paper.  I hand drew the flourishes and glued some pink trim I adored on the lines (let the glue dry a little first so they adhere better).  It is finished off with a threaded pink button.  If you wanted to make it look more vintage, you could rub some brown ink on the cut pattern pieces, especially the edges.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cynthia! Thanks for linking this up to the I'm Sew Excited! challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm "sew" glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete